Friday, July 18, 2008

Is This Customary for Customs?

After we got married, we went on a cruise that included a one-day stop in Mexico. Thus, we had to get passports and go through customs when we arrived back in LA. I thought the way they did customs was so strange. We stood in a line to show them our passports and to submit in writing what we bought and how much it was worth. Then we walked through this big garage that was right before the exit. There were little groups of customs officials scattered around. I suppose if we wanted to we could have just walked really fast or snuck by them. A group of three of them started to have a conversation with us. They asked us what we did and how our trip was. They were surprisingly friendly for government employees. Dantzel mentioned that I had gotten sick. Their tone changed and they asked us if we had purchased any medications. You could tell they were just trying to get us to “spill the beans” about what illegal stuff we were bringing in. I guess they figured if they were friendly to us that we would get comfortable with them and share the same secrets that best buds share with each other. I mean, really, if we were trying to smuggle something we knew wasn’t allowed, why on earth would we tell them we had it? It’s not like they searched our bags or anything. I don’t know, I just thought the whole thing was a little odd. Anyone else have similar experiences?

1 comment:

Bran said...

For me, most of the trauma caused by customs was of my own doing... nobody really cared about the cd's or the maple syrup or the herbal tea packets that I had stowed away in my suitcase coming back from Canada... I just got so darn nervous, and then little people were confused about why I was sweating...