Anyway. I'm kind of surprised that hair overload is our issue. Considering that Henry's hair was practically nonexistent until 18 months of age, for most of his life any kind of "hairdo" this kid had was mostly skin:
Either one of these heads could be Henry's, but he is actually the big fat pasty white boy in overalls with no shirt...because I am a really classy mom. Also, please note that H and his cousin are battling it out over My Little Pony and a rattle at the SAME TIME.
Fast forward about 9 months and Cueball suddenly sprouts a wild mop on top. And we discover that I, like most mothers, can't help but sink deep into denial about my beloved child's physical appearance. Only months later did I realize that my photo-taking ratio for this time period dropped to a mysterious all-time low. Maybe my subconscious knew something I didn't. Maybe it knew, for example, that Henry's head was an unkempt Phil-Spector-cum-dandelion hairsplosion:
This terrifyingly realistic representation of Henry's hair is brought to you by blogadilla.com.
Another characteristic of Henry's pre-March-4th hair is its magical regenerative ability. Much like the Hydra of ancient Greek mythology, this boy's cowlicks grew back twice as long and twice as numerous every time I chopped them off. I counted today. He has nine. Originally there were two.
What Henry's hair looked like 4 days after one of his (many, useless) haircuts.
Given the epic hair-vs-mom struggle we've got going on here, I may be a little premature in congratulating myself on solving the problem. (After he sleeps on it tonight, the whole thing will probably go to pot.) Still, let it be known that today, Friday March 4th, 2011, at approximately 11:06 am, I finally busted out the clippers and...as every good Utah mom must do at least once in her lifetime...
I gave my son a faux hawk. A preppy, Alfalfa-esque little faux hawk. In the process, I somehow made him look like a 6-year-old hipster as well:
He looks older, and thoughtful, and A LOT OLDER AND IT'S FREAKING ME OUT.
I think we can all agree I am NOT good with this whole nostalgia thing.
...but I am pretty good with those clippers, no?



5 comments:
LOL! Girls are so much easier. You just take the offending hair, cowlicks and all, gather it on top of their heads; wrap an elastic around it and slap a bow on it. We call the look "fountainhead". I'm glad to see Henry is well enough that your main worry is his hair.
Henry is so incredibly handsome!
He does look older.Our little man is growing up *sniffle*
um wow. he looks like he is ready to start his pre-pubescent emo band. cute hair. AND HE LOOKS SOOOO OLD!!
um wow. he looks like he is ready to start his pre-pubescent emo band. cute hair. AND HE LOOKS SOOOO OLD!!
Post a Comment