Let's rewind to Valentine's Day. February 14, 2010--we're pretty sure Dustin's parents are dead.
Dinner's on the table and Henry's wearing more clothes than usual. They're over an hour late and we've had no word at all about what's going on; I'm biting my nails in the back room muttering to myself about road conditions while Dustin has the repeated urge to call them on their cell phone, then remembers that it's impossible.
They showed up eventually. They'd only gotten lost after all and had been circling the block in confusion for 15 minutes (which is almost inevitable around here.) Toilets first, hugs later. Henry hadn't seen his grandparents in almost 6 months.
Debbie was a big hit with Henry--and by "big hit" I mean he tolerated her...he's got some pretty severe Stranger Danger going on right now. However, he welcomed Don with a howling, screeching, horrible scream. Such a charming child we have.
Despite eventually settling down, here's the level of warmth Henry continued to show towards his grandpa for several days:
He's majorly bummed. Which is funny when you consider that by the end of this trip they were best buds and whenever we got in the car, Henry would peek at Don in the rear view mirror and smile and laugh.We spent the next day in Bar-le-Duc getting ready for our trip and showing Dustin's parents around our frozen little town. I'm sure it couldn't have been much fun after flying in from Arizona.
Our town was blanketed in snow.

Dustin likes to help people.

The next day we dropped off our library books so that Debbie and Don could see the chateau, and then it was off to Germany!
And now I'm off myself to go get some real work done, so you'll have to stay tuned for the next part. I know it's really exciting so far. Don't forget to breathe.
No comments:
Post a Comment