Wednesday, March 25, 2009

good quote

Reading "The Fountainhead," good book, I highly recommend it, I've read it tons but I guess I'll read it one more time. I've got the memory of a goldfish and it's 700 pages long, so I never get bored, and if I alternate between that and "Atlas Shrugged," which is 1500 pages, it's like I never have to buy another book ever again. (Also, the Ayn Rand Foundation sent me this one for free. Maybe they are tired of all the essays I write them and want to keep me busy doing something else.) Anyways, found this quote in there that I thought was very well worded:

"Don't you know that most people take most things because that's what's given them, and they have no opinion whatever? Do you wish to be guided by what they expect you to think they think or by your own judgment?"

It grabbed my attention because the characters in question are discussing ideals of beauty in society which is something students in my major, myself included, like to B.S. about endlessly. If one more person gets a soulful look on their face and says in a breathy, reverent voice "What IS art?" I'm just going to scream out loud. But, I liked this quote mainly because I agree with it, and also because it reminds me a lot of the types of things my art professor Wulf used to say in our Business Practice for Artists class fall semester. He's a funny guy. He doesn't take crap from anybody, especially the I'm-wearing-love-crystals-and-I-knit-my-own-clothes-from-homegrown-henna-because-it's-fashionable crowd. I think he gets away with a lot of stuff because A) his German accent makes him sound intelligent AND gives him the excuse to pretend that he doesn't know what's going on, and B) nobody wants to get mad at a nice old man in Birkenstocks and John Lennon glasses. I mean really. Who would dare? Also, you wouldn't want to anyway because Wulf is appropriately named and takes great pleasure in biting people's heads off (this is not really a metaphor.)

So there's my two cents for today. Goal in life complete. Oh, and by the way, I'm taking an actual painting class from Wulf this spring, have I mentioned I'm terrified?

No comments: