Wednesday, September 23, 2009

"Soft Drink"...Yeah Right

So, the French have a very fluid concept of what soft drinks should be. In the United States you know for a fact that soft drinks are non-alcoholic and that hard drinks are the opposite. In France? Yeah not so much.

Things I have recently learned about France's so-called "soft drinks":


A) They can still have a fair amount of booze in them and be labeled a soft drink

B) Sparkling cider is maybe a bit more sparkly than I'm used to

C) I really shouldn't drink so fast at dinner, no matter how busy we are

D) If your head starts feeling funny, your eyesight goes weird, you have difficulty maintaining your balance, and you get all relaxed, warm, and happy...CONGRATULATIONS! You've just consumed your very first French "soft drink."

E) Now, turn the bottle over and read, in a very obscure location on the label, some interesting news: this sparkling cider is alcoholic, and you've just become slightly inebriated for the very first time in your life. Completely by accident, but inebriated nevertheless.


Weeeeellll, we won't be making THAT mistake twice. (It did feel really good, though.)

2 comments: